From greeting a superior officer, showing homage to the American flag, or paying respect to a fallen comrade — saluting is a powerful non-verbal communication gesture for showing proper respect.
With no real written record of how or where the tradition began, the salute dates back far in history when troops would raise their right hand(or their weapon hand) as a signal of friendship.
Back in the days, the subordinate person hand-gestured first in the presence of a superior who would then respond accordingly, which is the same practice used today — lower-ranking personnel salute higher ranking first.
Recruits learn how to hand salute in boot camp and demonstrate it hundreds of times before heading out to active duty. The gesture becomes instant as muscle memory takes over.
But many civilians nowadays salute as a form of celebration — and they get it so so wrong.
So check out our list of awful hand salutes that weren’t even close.
(Seriously — where are the military consultants?)
13. Glenn Close (Serving in Silence: The Margarethe Cammermeyer Story)
12. Jessica Simpson (Private Valentine: Blonde & Dangerous)
11. Former President George Bush (‘Merica)
10. Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
9. The River Phoenix look-a-like (Independence Day)
8. Chuck Norris (but it’s okay because he’s f*cking Chuck Norris)
7. Mike Epps (Friday After Next)
6. Anna Kendrick (We don’t know what this is from actually)
5. Ilana Glazer (Broad City)
4. Jack Black (School of Rock)
3. Chris Evans (some talk show)
Also Read: 5 epic military movie mistakes
2. Jack Black (Mars Attacks)
1. Steven Seagal (Under Siege)
You know we couldn’t leave this one out. (Source: WB/ YouTube/ Screenshot)
This article originally appeared on We Are The Mighty
Follow We Are The Mighty on Twitter
We Are The Mighty2019-02-21T13:43:02-04:00