G.I. Jobs Virtual Job Fair   |   June 27

Virtual Job Fair   |   June 27

How to Translate Your Military Training Into College Credits

a picture of a few books and an ipad

Many veterans heading to school can get college credit for their military training and experience, including leadership development courses. Coupled with classes they may have completed during active duty, this could give some student veterans a big head start on their post-military education. We’ll outline how you can translate your military training into college credits.

a man reading a book

Credit transfer policies vary widely by state and institution, so it is critical that service members planning to attend college when they separate start the process early. Transitioners must understand the credit transfer policy at the schools they are considering and should ask the schools to review their transcripts.

Three organizations offer assistance to service members pursuing a degree during and after their service:

  1. The American Council on Education (ACE) evaluates how much and what kind of credit to award for military training and occupations.
  2. Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Consortium (SOC) awards credits for military training and academic testing.
  3. Defense Activities for Non-traditional Education Support (DANTES) manages the work of the SOC and offers several special education programs.

ACE helps veterans and current service members by creating easily accessible web transcripts of their military training.  ACE also publishes A Transfer Guide: Understanding Your Military Transcripts and ACE Credit Recommendations.

close up photo of pens

Ace Checklist

What’s the best way to make certain you get the educational credits you deserve? The American Council on Education offers this handy checklist:

  • Do your research: Make sure the school you choose to attend gives you the maximum credit for nontraditional learning methods.
  • Every school is different: Learn how they handle credit transfers before you ask them to handle yours.
  • Check your military transcript: early and often online.
  • Ask your school to review your official transcripts (including those from other schools) as early as possible.
  • Avoid unnecessary classes by consulting with an academic adviser early on. Be sure to have a copy of your transcripts and your DD-214.
  • Take charge: follow up with all the academic departments handling your credit transfers.

Save Time and Money

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) offer standardized tests that allow service members and veterans to receive college credit for what they already know. The tests, which are available in 33 areas such as math, science, English, foreign language and history, can save time and money.

world drone academy

5 Steps to CLEP®

1) Find out if your college accepts CLEP.
Use the CLEP college search and talk to your admissions office, test center or academic advisor.

2) Read descriptions of all 33 exams. Decide and which one to take.

3) Register to take your exam(s). contact a CLEP test center and making an appointment.

4) Start studying.
Get a college textbook and review sample questions.

5) Take your test!
For information on tests administered by DANTES, visit dantes.doded.mil.


2018 Hot Jobs for Veterans

4 Benefits to Consider When Evaluating a Job Offer

3 Great Alternative Ways to Use GI Bill Benefits